A Travellerspoint blog


Our journey to Malaysia was a little more eventful than we had hoped. After leaving Ko Pha-Ngan we arrived in Surat Thani to get our Bus to Georgetown (Malaysia). We were met off our bus by a man ushering us into his pick-up truck which was a little unnerving as we assumed we'd be picked up in another minibus. We were then dropped off at a rather grotty looking bus depot, here the attendant told us that we would have to get out 12000 baht (roughly 180 pounds) so that they could change it to Ringit (the Malaysian currency). They claimed that we needed this amount of money to cross the border and we wouldn't be allowed to cross if we didn't have this amount on us. Luckily we knew this was a scam and didn't hand over any money and told them that if infact we did need this money then we would get it once we had reached the border. After this attempted scam we were then taken on foot to another bus depot to wait for the bus, at this point we were getting very wary as to whether we would ever actually make it to Malaysia. We did consider just walking away and catching the train instead (Katy had heard that on some dodgy bus journeys they drug you then steal your stuff, they do this through water they give to you but Katy thought they did it through the air conditioning!). However after walking away and then deciding that we were on too much of a budget to not get the bus we went back to the bus depot and a minibus arrived to pick us up, however there was no one else on the bus so we were still very wary of getting on. But after waiting on the bus for a few mins we spotted another western couple our age who we'd seen in Ko Phangnan and were also heading to Malaysia so we felt better once they got on our bus and told us that they had had a similar experience to us since getting off the ferry and had been taken to a number of places before eventually getting on our bus. In the end the rest of the journey went well and we arrived safely in Malaysia, without being drugged or having anything stolen from us. Happy times!

Our first stop in Malaysia was Georgetown, a town on a small island just off from Malaysia's west coast. We must admit that it wasn't really as nice as we had first hoped, but just arriving was enough for us. We didn't really do much on our two days here, but to be honest there wasn't really much to do. We tried to find somewhere that did a decent curry be it seems that it is very hard to find any type of decent restaurant in Malaysia.

After two fairly uneventful days in Geroge Town we took an 8 hour bus journey to Kuala Lumpar. The thing that really stands out about Kuala Lumpar was the shopping centres, they were huge! One even had a theme park with a full sized roller coaster with loops and everything! Though as neither of us have much spare cash we spent our time window shopping rather than actually shopping.

Also while in Kuala Lumpar we visited the city forest, which as the name would suggest is a forest in the heart of the city. It is quite a strange experience to walk off a main road surrounded by sky scrapers and into a forest full of monkeys, snakes and scorpians. (We saw alot of monkeys but didn't actually see any snakes or scorpians just a lot of signs warning us about all the dangerous animals to be found in the forest, not that Katy was complaining about that)

As well as visitng the forset we went to see the KL tower and the twin towers, two huge buildings in Kuala Lumpars buisness district. The twin towers used to be the largest building in the world, we're not completley sure what is now. Though other than the fact that these two buildings were big there wasn't really much else to them.

After Kuala Lumpar we took another 8 hour bus journey, this time to Singapore, our final destination in South East Asia. We again spent our time window shopping as Singapore mainly full of shopping malls, hundreds of them!!We did however end up spending almost 12 hours at Singapore airport before flying to Australia. This was becasue our flight was at 7am, meaning check-in was at 5am. So we decided that rather than pay for a nights accommodation we would simply go to the airport at 10pm the night before. Luckily Singapore airport is quite amazing and there was plenty to keep us occupied while we waited, this included free internet, a swimming pool, a cinema and a cactus garden!! We were both relieved to get onto the plane after a going the whole night without any sleep. Katy fell asleep before the plane even took off and didn't even realise we were in the air when she awoke!!!

Posted by katyjamie 17:32 Archived in Malaysia Tagged backpacking

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint