A Travellerspoint blog

Coffs Harbour to Noosa

-17 °C

After leaving Sydney we got the overnight bus to Coffs Harbour arriving at 5.30am in the morning Katy slept like a baby but Jamie didn't sleep very well on the bus. As we arrived so early in the morning we weren't able to get a pick up to the hostel but according to Katy's excellent map reading skills it didn't look too far so we decided to walk it. After walking with our backpacks on for about an hour and a half we came across an abandoned Woolworths trolley to put our packs in and wheel the rest of the way (which was a life saver as we were about to drop!!). We arrived at the hostel just after 7 and were able to get a double room for what we were paying in Sydney for our dorm beds. After our long bus journey and walk the first thing we did in Coffs Harbour was to get a few hours sleep before exploring the town.


Coffs Harbour was a fairly small town and reminded both of us of an American Hick town but everyone was really friendly and there was a bar in our hotel called the Hoey Moey where we entered the pool competition one night (Jamie got knocked out during the first round, Katy got to round 3!!) and then the next night Jamie entered the poker competition where he won a couple of free drinks, they also served free pizza at the bar which was great for our budget.

The main highlight of our stop at Coffs Harbour was going to see the Big Banana!! Which is exactly what it sounds like.


After Coffs Harbour we headed up to Byron Bay which was a really cool hippy town we didn't really do much whilst we were here apart from look around the many surf shops they have and go into the backpacker travel places to find out about the trips we wanted to book up the east coast.

Brisbane was our next stop which we weren't very impressed with, it's not that there was anything wrong with Brisbane as such but it was just another city. Also we didn't like the hostels we stayed in at Brisbane, when we first got there the hostel we were originally planning on staying at was booked out so we ended up staying at Somewhere to Stay which was exactly what it says as the kitchen was fairly small for the amount of people staying there and the bathroom was a bit grubby. We stayed there for 4 nights as we had a voucher where if we stayed 3 nights we got 1 night free. Then for the last 2 nights we decided to book into the hostel we were orignally going to stay at as it was right by the bus depot and we also had another voucher to get $10 our first night. However it was only once we got there that we realised the cheapest dorm room that we'd booked into held 30 people!!!! Which was more people than we'd stayed with in all the hostels we'd been in so far. On our first night here one of the girls got back from work at 4am and was talking outside the room, a french girl who had just arrived that night went out and asked her to be quiet a couple of times before eventually going out and throwing a glass of water over her!!! Which certainly didn't shut the other girl up and in the end every one in the dorm was awake and we were asking ourselves why we'd changed hostels. But it certainly wasn't an uneventful night at least. Our second night was less eventful with most people being too scared to make any noise!!

Whilst in Brisbane we booked our East Coast Package with Tribal Travel which included a boomberang painting workshop and digeridoo lesson, a 3 day and 2 night Noosa Everglades Canoe Safari, a 3 day and 2 night self drive camping safari on Fraser Island, sea kayaking with dolphins and 3 days and 2 night sailing the Whitsundays.


The boomerang painting workshop and didgeridoo lesson was done in Brisbane where we got to learn about aborginal art and what the different symbols meant whilst painting our own boomerangs (Jamie's looks like an original piece of aborignal art Katy's looks like an aborignal childs masterpiece). We then also got taught how the play the didgeridoo both of us could make a noise but not much else. The man teaching us was able to make it sound like a dingo and a cuckobura.


After Brisbane we headed to Noosa where we got the free bus to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo where we both fed Kangaroos and held a Koala. We also watched the daily show where in true Crocadile Hunter style we got to watch the crocadiles being fed.


We then went on our 3 day and 2 night Noosa Everglades canoe and camping safari up Noosa's river of mirrors. We both expected to have a tour leader with us on the trip but after collecting the camping gear and being shown how to use the canoes we were given a map of where to canoe and where we would be camping and told they'd see us in 3 days!!! So off we canoed up the river to our camping ground with the other 7 people in our group.


The canoe safari was good but really really exhausting!! We didn't capsise at all mainly because the water is so still. On the first day we canoed for 7km then the next day we canoed 6.5km then walked 6km up the mountain to the sand patch then 6km back down and 6.5km back to camp and then on the last day we canoed back another 7km to where we got picked up. So in total we walked 12km and canoed 27km. In the mornings we saw wild Kangaroos near the campsite as well which was cool. The river was really nice as it's called the river of mirrors so everything reflects into it.


We then treated ourselves to pizza and beer when we got back to the hostel in Noosa for all our (or should we say Jamie's) hard work!!

Posted by katyjamie 01:39 Archived in Australia Tagged backpacking

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint